View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Default Gutter Cleaner using Blower

I no longer get on a 12 foot or higher ladder and have a gutter on the back of the house on the 2d floor & the downspout always fills with debris in the fall. Additionally there is a gutter on the garage side of the house that I can get to with a step ladder.

Anyways, I'm tired of spending $85 to have someone schedule & come out to clean out the 2d floor gutter & elbow. Thought there has to be a something that I can make that would do the job well without a lot of jerry rigging.

So, I came up with this.

Used 4 pieces, 5 foot in length of 1.5 inch ABS DWV pipe which is lightweight & coupled 2 sections with ABS cement; making one 10 foot section (couldn't find longer 10 foot sections of ABS DWV pipe). Did the same with the remaining two 5 foot sections.

Added a flange to the end of one pipe which would be the used to connect to the shop vac hose & other end to the Stihl blower. To secure the hose at both ends I used duct tape. The 2d pipe would have a 45 degree elbow and a couple 22.5 degree elbows on one end that would be pointed down into the gutter -- blow the leaves out, etc.

Pictures shows the apparatus used to tackle the garage side gutter which is up about 10-12 feet & second shows tackling the 2d floor gutter.

Another picture shows the two 10 foot sections connected and reaching the 2d level. I used one inch white PVC (measure 1.25 inches wide) which I slid into the 1.5 inch ABS DWV and secured with four 2 inch screws (2 into one section & 2 into the other -- approx. 3 feet of white PVC is used). The use of the white PVC inside stabilizes & sturdies the temporary coupling of the two 10 foot ABS DWV sections, to reach the 2d level. To store in garage, remove the 4 screws/bolts connecting the two 10 foot sections together & slide the white PVC out of the ABS DWV pipe.

Cost: approx. $60

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flange to vac hose.JPG (147.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg cement & cleaner.JPG (87.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg hose to stihl.JPG (77.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 2d floor gutter.JPG (64.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 2 ten foot sections.JPG (74.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Garage gutter.JPG (52.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 2d floor ground.JPG (97.4 KB, 43 views)
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M StarlightŪ 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 07-05-2017 at 06:51 AM.