Thread: New x260.8
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
Sorry for the delay. I’ve complicated things by also evaluating a range of speaker cables to match the Passes to my Von Schweikerts. But in short, the X260.8 amps are simply wonderful. Liquid, open, refined, with a realistic transient reproduction capability. Extended bottom to top. Tonally pure. Nothing exaggerated. I can tell the differences between the different speaker cables I’m listening to very easily.

The 600R is a damn fine amp - I’d recommend it without hesitation at its price. But in comparison with the Passes it is not as refined through the midrange. Vocals are a tiny bit grainier. It is also not as articulate in the extreme low end. It goes as low, but the AVA trades articulation for more of a fullish “slam”. I’m glad I had it for as long as I have; it served me well. The X260.8’s, however, are superior.
Tony,
I'm continuing some studies, with some related background and a few questions for you below. And, No worries about delays - i was curious. Pretty exciting upgrade and figured you went dark likely focusing on listening to the new amps settling in. I followed your shipping concerns, and the same has happened with me with some carriers - not dropping off and leaving a note. It happens if conditions are not ideal (heavy items) with some drivers. I live in Pass Land, grew up in the same work areas. Also similar long term demos and evaluations of amps, and susequent thrashing of interconnects, cables. All in order for me to further design, build speakers. Got stuck again on amps past 5-7 years. In similar fashion, last year had a brief window of study with Frank and AVA amps with great appreciation of what he offers for the $. Your feedback is helpful in comparison. And, while comparing and auditioning Nelson's latest during the .5 to new .8 amp offering. Heard both sound very good and truly awful with really bad speaker paring at a show one time. Was shocked, speaker synergy and room set up can be "everything". This preamaturely drove me right back into low watt SET/Tube triode amps for a while, then researching Firstwatt and DIY (Korg Nutube) studies Nelson was working on. And, finally right back to good PP Tube Mono amps I own now for personal use. I'm a former ss class-a amp nut for 40+ years and rediscovered tubes but always kept track of what the next SS designs would be. Hard to believe tweaks are still occurring one person to the next. That's what great designers do, letting exploration continue! Many working to achieve the right balance of smooth tube sound with driver control. As i get older perhaps I have overly sensitive hearing, dislike grain or edge . Liking "midrange" more than grainy top-end too. Also noting more recent comments back and forth between .5 and .8 version amps noting different sounds from each. Very interesting. Each with it's own signature.

Sounds like you are finding your "midrange", and looking for a bit more smoothness to rid of the remaining grain. Good fun. It's possible and a common goal many seem to strive for with these nicer amps and I could not help but notice your quick jump back to "cables". Also was an obsessed cable evaluator for too long. Seems to make a notable difference with great preamps and amp mainly. "Back to cables" happens particularly when someone makes an amp change. Inspired some questions to ask. In an email Nelson commented to me on my speakers and tube amps last year during some research, and we got into some sidebar discussion around some testing I did pairing my 6SN7 based tube preamp with other ss power amps. He confirmed it's another combo many of his customers have tried and liked...again, folks working to find the right balance of tube smoothness and speaker control. No dis on any of Nelsons preamps, great things there too.

A close colleague who pushed me to sell him my highly modified higher powered tube amp was doing some long-term side by side comparisons back and forth with the lower powered Pass amps too, and enjoying the smaller XA25 too. While being lower powered with less grunt (for his speakers) he found it to be almost tube-like in some ways (paired with upgraded Harbeths). I got engaged trying to figure out what more amps designers were doing in the (20w range) of amps, and what Nelson was doing with NuTube in the DIY design offering, i.e. seemingly working to make ss amps sound even more like tube amps, good fun. A little background if it helps to relate. Many of us striving for that smooth magical midrange sound yet retaining clarity and sound stage too. Got four questions for ya.. related to some of the updates you reported, and possibly to the type of sound you are looking for, and seemingly some potential fine tuning opportunities. As you've noted, NOW you can start to hear changes with cables. Good sign. Let the fine tuning begin:

-how much burn-in time do you actually believe has been put on the 260.8 amps?

-what preamp are you running with your recently acquired 260.8 monos?

-what brand/model interconnect cables are you using between source, pre, amps?

-what speaker cables to the VS speakers, standard/bi-wire, brand/model?

------

Once shared, I gather other pass amp owners will likely be able to assist with further fine tuning opportunities to investigate with your new amps pairing with your VS speakers and all. Curious to know what happens after 30-60 more days of burn-in on your amps. Seems some premature sales happen with new owners who never really burn-in their gear and just sell it off not knowing to give it some good long burn in time. Makes a great opportunity for 2nd-hand buyers.

Last edited by decooney; 01-01-2020 at 12:24 PM.