Thread: Subs for Salon2
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Positioning and accounting for group delay is one thing that holds me back, expense the other. Interesting to hear your endorsement of SVS, Pio. I've given them some consideration but feel like JL and REL seem to get all the press around here, especially JL. If on is willing to buy a pair of used V1) JLs, the costs are driven down considerably. There aren't enough used Rhythms around to make a market.

I passed on getting a pair of Rhythm2s at very big discounts recently, but I was tempted. Non sequitur observation: rhythm has to be one of the strangest spelling constructions in the English language.

I have 2 Velodynes that are going strong after 11 years! One is currently in my HT and the other NEVER turns off as I leave my system on all the time in my office at the station. So, used subs arent a bad investment. As long as you can protect yourself by buying from a reputable source, and they're in good shape, etc.

JL and REL get press because they're finely engineered and sound fantastic. But, in my older age I have become more of a fan of price to performance ratio.
SVS (for me) is hard to beat. I ran a pair of their ENORMOUS PB-13Ultra's in my old set up with B&W's 802D2's and they were just spectacular. Had to sell them due to their size when I moved to the NYC area. Actually sold them to a friend that owned another "high end" brand and fell in love with my 13Ultras.

Do some digging, Audioholics has done full tests on several brands / models and they're testing is pretty intense, they torture subs - and don't hold back on reporting when a sub cries for mercy.

Anyways, whatever you do - if you decide on sub-woofing, get a pair. The dealer should assist you with concerns on group delay, phase, eq, etc.