View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 AM
Merry Christmas to all

The Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P arrived today. It's a good looking amp, but more importantly a very good sounding single ended, Class A triode headphone amplifier. I have been listening now for about eight hours. I am impressed with the richer, deeper bass and a more organic texture to the sound as compared to the Gilmore Lite I have been using for a few years. The sound stage created between my ears seems deeper front to back, more 3 dimensional. The Gilmore Lite is a bit more in your face with its presentation. After eight hours I sense zero listener fatigue, in fact I just want to keep listening. I am very impressed with the X-Can V8P's performance. The fit and finish are high quality, and the Alps volume control with that big volume knob operates as smooth as silk. I believe I prefer the infinite adjustment capability of the Alps control versus a stepped attenuator like the one used in the Burson HA160 headphone amplifier.

I have already opened up the V8P, looking to see who manufactures the tubes. No luck. The only markings on the two tubes were ECC88, and in small screening that I could just barely make out 1ABR near the base. No origin markings at all. I put the X-Can back together, and have been listening to it all evening. The stock tubes sound quite nice, although I still plan to install a pair of Genelex Gold Lion ECC88's that I ordered. They should arrive by the end of the week if I am lucky.

I really like what I am hearing with the dual triodes in the circuits. There is a new smoothness coming from my HD600's, an enhancement to the music's texture, a thicker texture to the bass, and a quiet noise floor. The V8P will be replacing my Gilmore Lite, which will be going up for sale. I'll have more to say once I get the Gold Lion ECC88's installed and put some hours on them.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.