Thread: Magico S5
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I had the MM3 before switching to Magico. On the MM3, the factory spikes are a bit an afterthought, just a 10cents screw so I can understand you get an improvement by trying with different feet.
On Magico the story is very different: The spikes and feet are designed as part of the overall speaker. I talked with Magico CTO about that at a show, and inquired specifically about Stillpoint. He told me that it was a very bad idea to try to find feet or spikes which work better than the factory solution, and that I should rather spend my money on better upstream components if I had cash to spend.
I believe that Magico also issued an official service letter a few months back to state they were against having users using custom feet. Keep in mind that Magico is so perfectionist in their design that if it would improve sound to use different feet they would do it (with the Qpod, they have all the technology in house to do it)
Thanks for your comments Jazz. I don't doubt the commentary from Magico is accurate, however you have to keep in mind that Porsche for example would never come out and say a famous tuning house like Ruf Automobile produces better turbo engines than them. Similarly Magico are not going to come out and say Stillpoints produce better feet (Ultra 5's with Ultra bases). I don't doubt the factory feet work as described, and are well implemented like all their other products. But I do think you should take those comments as general advice only.

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 11-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.