Thread: La Scala
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 01:55 AM

For smaller discos we sold many sets of La Scala supplemented by either MWM-s or double 18" woofers from Altec EV or JBL. They did really well. Some times we used just the lower section of split La Scalas as mid woofers combined with either Altec or JBL Horns and sub woofers. They were used as playback speakers in Choir rooms and rooms where money was tight. They worked very well in small chapels and Sanctuaries. , We installed a few in Comic Strips using Hersey as fill speakers. I never could under stand using them in home systems with Cornwalls being available. I'd willing give up 3 or 4 db of sensitivity for the era one octave of bass extension. I gave up another 3 db for speakers to almost reach 20 HZ. The difference is just amazing to have extended bass as a foundation to build upon. What's a Symphony without Double bass and Tuba. Or a Slavic mens choir with out the contra bass voices. Can you imagine a Jazz group without a Bass Guitar or Double bass, I can't. How about a large classical organ playing Bach with out the pedal notes. Nope, a La Scala does what it can very well, but bass is not its forte. So give me Klipschorns or Cornwalls instead. Better yet a Belle in the center flanked by two Klipschorns on a long wall.

Last edited by TWInsall; 07-05-2019 at 01:59 AM.