View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khashmi View Post
Thanks Isaac, you know what this means right…pretty soon I might be picking your collective brains on rolling alternatives.

Since I have the Scihiit Audio Freya Plus tube preamp, I have already collected a bunch of NOS 6SN7 tubes including a couple from the VT-231 WW2 variety including Ken-Rad, Sylvania, and RCA Grey Glass. In addition, I also have 2 pairs of Melz 5 hole late (1950’s and early 1960’s), which are my favorite, and a pair of CBS Hytron 5692’s. Also have pairs of 1950’s Sylvania GTA and GTB and new production Electro Harmonix that came stock with the Freya, but haven’t seen the light of day since I started rolling. At least, I can start rolling with the driver tubes first and work my way to rectifier and power tubes next.

Excited!
I’ve got a whole tube rolling thread ion this forum. Gone a bit nuts with it really… My latest bit of madness is getting an external power supply and special adapter so that I can use my stash of 12sn7 and other variations (2c50, 12sx7, etc.). That’ll be here in several weeks. I have Tungsol round plate and the Sylvania “Bad boys” in 12sn7, much more affordable!

I too have the Freya+ Although I typically use it in the passive mode. I also have a Supratek Cabernet which i use when I want/need more gain or just like the sound. I can use 12sn7 or 6sn7 in that.

I’ve heard great things about those 5 hole Melz tubes. Haven’t gone down the Russian rabbit hole yet. I’m obsessing over the British tubes. Been using the BL63 and I have some ecc31 and adapters coming next month. The Firebottle can use tubes with really heavy filament draw that many other amps can’t.