View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

I have a Dynaudio Sub 500 for the home theater system, which otherwise consists of a 7 channel Arcam AVR driving Dynaudio Audience speakers. The Sub 500 is really quite an awesome beast, and sounds terrific. I have measured 110 db at 1 meter coming off it while playing the opening of LOTR The Two Towers (where they recap Gandolf battling the Malrog) and it was barely breaking a sweat.

My two-channel music system is in a different room; in fact, a different floor. At one point I tried using the Sub500 (and it is not easy to carry it up a flight of steps) with the two channel system. Try as I might I just couldn't get it to integrate properly. I used the line level input and no matter how I tried different settings I just couldn't keep it from pumping like mad. Not that my plan was to take it out of the HT system anyway.

I ended up getting a REL for the music system. It has a high level input that connects to the amp's speaker outputs and is much easier to integrate for music. The Sub500 only has LFE and line level inputs. What I also don't like about the Sub500 is that all adjustments are done with the tiny remote it comes with. I like having the remote for adjusting from the listening position. I wish the REL had that. However, you can never visually see where settings are relative to what they have been before, and if you lose the remote you are screwed and can't adjust anything (I already lost it once, and had to unplug the Sub until I could find it).