View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 03:39 PM

I remember reading about 'pseudo triodes' as Steve calls them on the Decware forum at some point. I actually had one of his SE34I back in the days but unfortunately it wasn't a very good match with the speakers I had at the time. The first iteration was only rated at 3.4 watts per channel after all...

I've never heard a 2a3 or 45 amplifier either and the LM 210ia was my first exposure to 300b. I was lucky to have it playing in my system for 2 days and I really liked it. I am anxious to hear what a 45 sounds like and hopefully it connects with me. Apparently 2a3 tubes are magical with female vocals but can sound a little thin, which could potentially be adressed with a PSE design I would imagine.

KT77s have me intrigued as well and I can't wait to hear them in a triode strapped Inspire, PSE or not. Just like you, the amplifier is going to be hi-passed so the last octave isn't really a priority. All I need to be a happy camper is some sweet mids with nice texture, decent sized soundstage and pin-point 3D imaging... I'm not asking for too much, am I?

What's high on the priority list is to be able to enjoy my system for late night listening sessions and to really feel like the main vocalist or solo instrument is there in the room with me, floating in between the speakers just a few feet away, trying to seduce me in a very believable manner

I get the impression that we have similar tastes and appreciate your contribution to the forum.

Cheers,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I believe, based on my own experience with the KT-88 Triode-strapped Inspire amp (20 watt trannies and long chassis), that the Gold Lion KT-77 works wonders because it is a distant relative of the EL34 Pentode, the only tube which can be strapped in Triode mode naturally, given its internal configuration. A quote from Steve Deckert (Decware):

"... [I]In a pentode such as the EL34 where the screens are not tied together internally, it is possible to wire it as a "true triode". It is the only pentode I know of that is. The other ones have internal connections on the screens that can't be changed so you end up with a ´Pseudo triode´"

Although one would think using EL34 would theoretically beat the KT-77, hands-on experience from others have testified to the contrary, making that special combination of KT-77 (a "hybrid" between the EL34 and the KT-88) the best approach short of a real Triode. The cited KT-88 is really an excellent tube in the Inspire, on its own merits (again, referring to the Triode-strapped mode), so best-of-both-worlds, as they say.

Mind you, I have NEVER heard a 45, 300B or 2A3, so I cannot judge the midrange quality in my amp relative to those others, but at least I get to use different tubes and cheaper replacements with an outstanding midrange and highs, along with some higher SPLs. With a sub crossed anywhere between 50 and 100 Hz (in my case), these also have outstanding bass. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Other than keep improving the source side on my gear, a technologically ever-evolving field, the best upgrade after the Inspire Lp-27a and HO amp is definitely a finer set of loudspeakers, which would ultimately do justice to that amplification and sourcing setup gem.

Last edited by david45; 10-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.