View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
Love the Boulder gear also. Just too darn expensive for me. I heard my AX5/20 vs their former integrated that is under 15k if I recall and I felt the Ayre gave a much more musical presentation. Less darn and faster. My friend heard their new integrated at the factory. He is friends with the owner and it was during Rocky Mountain. He immediately got in touch and said I had to hear it. I will eventually (not many dealers left that I know of), but it's so far out of my price range and I wonder if it really is THAT much better than my Ayre.
Well their newest and least expensive amp sells for "just" $28,000, less than the price of a pair of MX-R Twenties, so Ayre's prices on their flagship products have kind of come up to meet the low end of Boulder's. ;-)

New Boulder 1160 Amplifier

Believe it or not, unlike Ayre, which is small enough they farm out all their metal work, Boulder does everything in-house - raw aluminum blocks come in on one end and they do all the machining and bead blasting in-house, perhaps the only manufacturer left that does things that way (they also build some of their own transformers, stuff their own boards, etc.)

Last edited by BillK; 07-28-2017 at 06:04 AM.