View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Matt & GSOphile:
I am successfully using my K-03X as a DAC with my Bryston network streamer as a Roon endpoint. That setup allows me to stream virtually all digital formats up to 2X DSD resolution. I have some limitations on streaming DSD as the Bryston only streams that format via it's USB ports.

When I was shopping for a network streamer, I wanted it to be Roon ready and compatible with Apple airplay. I use airplay to stream to multiple (mostly vintage) systems in my home for casual listening. The Bryston BDP-3 checked both of those boxes.

Everything works great and sounds fine. The USB connection on the K-03X can be a bit fussy however. I have to set to K-03X to the USB input first, then boot up the network streamer and lastly start Roon. It's fine after that as long as I don't switch inputs on the K-03X. If you do, the USB connection won't relock without restarting everything in sequence. The Esoteric instruction manual does state that that the input should not be changed after establishing a USB connection. No issues like that with the K-03X coax digital input however. I have only a few DSD titles anyway so usually just use the coax input on my K-03X to make it simpler.

Bottom line-There's a great DAC in any K-03 & I enjoy it almost every day.