View Single Post
Old 11-05-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
I am a big fan of Rowland electronics...I have a JRDG 625 S2 amplifier. I wouldn't steer you away from the Corus as it is a fine piece but said to be much better with the new Rowland PSU, though that is another big expense. I'd personally love to have a Ref 6 in my system but it is disqualified based on one factor that hasn't been mentioned here. The Ref 6 is incompatible with most sub-woofers due to an impedance mismatch. I see you have JL 212's. The F212 V1 has an input impedance of 10K ohms....this makes it incompatible with ARC pre-amps due to their minimum input impedance of 20K ohms. The only possibility of success is if you have the 212 V2 where they have raised the input impedance on single ended connections to 50K ohms to specifically deal with this issue. Even if you have the V2, it is worth looking at the total input impedance from two subwoofers and your amps as there is a compounded effect but I can't recall how to calculate that total figure.

The fact that ARC has eliminated most customers who drive a sub-woofer via their pre-amp seems like a poor decision.

Another thing to consider about the REF 6 is the issue of the acrylic top "melting". I can't fathom why they would not use a glass top or something more heat resistant on a pre-amp of this caliber.
Tdimer, thank you for mentioning the concern with the subwoofers. I considered this aswell and this made me realize I left out an important piece of info, I am using a JLAudio CR-1 crossover to integrate the subs. The CR-1 has an input impedance of 20k ohm for balance and 50k ohm for unbalanced. I current use balanced ICs. So I was thinking the Ref 6 would still work. Do you think it is still a concern? Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
I am a big fan of Rowland electronics...I have a JRDG 625 S2 amplifier. I wouldn't steer you away from the Corus as it is a fine piece but said to be much better with the new Rowland PSU, though that is another big expense. I'd personally love to have a Ref 6 in my system but it is disqualified based on one factor that hasn't been mentioned here. The Ref 6 is incompatible with most sub-woofers due to an impedance mismatch. I see you have JL 212's. The F212 V1 has an input impedance of 10K ohms....this makes it incompatible with ARC pre-amps due to their minimum input impedance of 20K ohms. The only possibility of success is if you have the 212 V2 where they have raised the input impedance on single ended connections to 50K ohms to specifically deal with this issue. Even if you have the V2, it is worth looking at the total input impedance from two subwoofers and your amps as there is a compounded effect but I can't recall how to calculate that total figure.

The fact that ARC has eliminated most customers who drive a sub-woofer via their pre-amp seems like a poor decision.

Another thing to consider about the REF 6 is the issue of the acrylic top "melting". I can't fathom why they would not use a glass top or something more heat resistant on a pre-amp of this caliber.