Thread: The CLX Sound
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 AM

Default The CLX Sound

I have lived with my CLXes now for over a year. I just got a Stage center to round things out. I have been tweaking my JL f113 sub to better integrate and I am currently seriously considering a second sub and electronic crossover.

As I was warned, one issue with the speakers is that they are particularly unforgiving. Poor recordings just sound terrible. But then great recordings yield some of the best sound I've heard anywhere -the part that I love. It is with what is in between that troubles me. The average recording tends to be on the bright side. This is also true of some television in surround as well. I actually turn down the treble to compensate occasionally. It is the one thing that troubles me about these speakers.

I have all McIntosh gear which is known for its tube-like smoothness and Harmonic Technology cables that are also considered to be on the warmer side. So it is the speakers that appear to be the source of this excessive brightness.

Have others experienced this with CLXes or other Martin Logan speakers? Any suggestions on how I might address this?

Thanks!