View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottmahler View Post
Recently added a pair of DB2D subs to 802D3 speakers. They're connected to a McIntosh C47 preamp via XLR (speakers on output one and subs on output two). Initial impressions are that they're great subs in a smaller than average package. They sound great and blend well with the main speakers, soundwise and visually. The app-based DSP is great to have, especially in a difficult room like ours.

The passions on this post seem to run high :-) so I was expecting to find that the concerns about the default levels were overblown. That said, the default leveling on the subs even via XLR is... surprising.

In order to achieve a sound that I think is balanced, I've had to increase the input gain for each sub by +6-8db. At the default 0db gain, the subs are almost inaudible. Playing music through them with 0db input gain set in the app with the mains off (ouput one off), this proves true. The Brits may like lighter base, but I'm hard pressed to call the default settings anything but an engineering issue. If I want to hear a gutteral kick drum or shake the walls so my 5-year-old can "Shake Your Rump" with the Beastie Boys, I need to go further and create a custom EQ with the lower frequencies boosted by a further 3-5db.

In the end, because of the great sound quality, our limited space, the great integrated DSP, and (I'm shallow) the visual appeal, we'll be keeping the subs. I'd also say, that boosting everything to the max - the input gain and custom EQ - would result in badly unbalanced sound quality, so the subs have adequate "room for play". That said, I definitely agree that B&W needs to revisit the default calibration settings, even if just to add an American mode or "Wall Shaker" EQ setting. :-)

What settings do you use? Do you set to 802D3, stereo, music, +6 dB ?