View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I am not surprised to read that people like different tubes. Some of our amps are very different from each others. Certainly our speakers are different. Many here like the lower power triode-strapped amps, of which Dennis also seems to favor given his posts on eBay.

Running 6V6 in a triode amp produces what, around 4-5 wpc? That's not enough power for me so those amps aren't an option. My amp produces 17-18 wpc and that's a bit low for my system, I'd much rather have 25-30 wpc. But as long as I don't crank it way up, it sounds great with the 17. I have run it with tubes producing as low as the 4-5 watt range, but that's giving up 6 dB of headroom.

Maybe someday I will find a high efficiency speaker which I like, and doesn't cost $30K. The search continues ...
Ya just never know with speakers. I'm using 6F6's with probably 4W maximum with Proac DT8's. On paper they don't appear to be efficient enough to run with low power. Using them in a small 12 squared room and they go as loud as needed. They are also a killer match, really great combination. The cost is a ways south of $30k!