View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan84 View Post
Hi, I’m new to the forum, I just wanted to quickly post my initial impressions of the KX5 twenty. I was forced to sell my beloved Naim system recently and I was hoping to pick up more affordable gear. I was expecting a loss in sound quality and I was certain when I bought the Ayre KX5 Twenty that I’d have to live with less than what I was used to. FYI my Naim setup was NAC 552DR, NAP 135 monoblocks feeding Harbeth 30.2.

I’ve currently been running the Ayre Kx5 twenty into the power section of an affordable integrated Audiolab 8200a RRP 600pounds new. Even so, the sound of the KX5/20 is more cohesive and detailed than the Naim setup. The midrange on the NAC 552DR is more pronounced sure, but overall from what I’m hearing the Ayre is the more detailed and cohesive. The Naim pre retails for about twice the price of the Ayre. Like I said these are early impressions of only a few hours. I will report back once I have a better power amplifier connected as my Harbeths respond well to power.

Very impressed thus far.

Glad you are enjoying your KX-5 Twenty. I don't have experience with Naim, but Naim people swear by them. So, it's really a complement to hear you praising the Ayre.