View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Default Aurender X100 [DAC + Hard Drive]

After months and months of searching, I think I may have found the right DAC + Hard Drive solution. The Aurender X100. I did look at their upper end models [W20 and S10 and I like these, because they have the meters that would fit nicely with my current McIntosh equipment] but the X100 offers the type of configuration I want that the more reference designs do not offer. An all in one DAC + Hard Drive. I also considered the Lumin and they offer a really impressive product as well. But, I am stuck with attaching the library storage to the network.

Yes, I know the DAC + Hard Drive solution is offered by McIntosh/Autonomic via MB100 but the MB100 has fundamental issues and unfortunately, not a viable rational reasonable solution. Anyway, at one time, Meridian [Sooloos] was an option but it appears they have moved away from the all in one solution as well.

It appears that the de facto standard push is either a combonation Music Server DAC + Libary or a Music Server + DAC + Library. For me, that's just too many components for a one room solution. I have no interest in streaming or subscribing to streaming services. I already have a comprehensive audio library that I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars for and want to use it.

As I begin again to embarace the music all in one dac/server/library adventure: My thought is, I don't want to deal with having to learn a configuration. At these price points, they should just work right out of the box. Companies like Apple, Samsung and others on the very cheap end strive to make things works right out of the box. These multi thousands dollar units should work flawlessly: plug and play.

I could of course, continue to use my AK240 plugged into the rear of either the C2500 or MCD550 and in the near future, MCD1100. But, I would like an all in one rack solution and not have to fiddle with my portable units.

1. Does anyone out there have the X100 and if so, what has been your experience?

2. I would wager that the Aurender is going to beat the pants off McIntosh/Autonomics but are there issues that you have encountered?

3. Any other recommendations?