View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
OK, I'd like to revive this moribund thread a bit. While arguments can be made regarding whether more of your budget should be spent on the source vs. more should be spent on the speakers in a system, I personally think its a good idea to try to find some synergistic balance between various components. I was just looking at one audiophile's signature on another website (both of which shall remain anonymous) and while he had about $6Gs invested in his digital front end, less than 3Gs invested in his analog front end, and less than $10Gs invested in speakers, he had over $40Gs invested in preamp/amp/cables. Go figure. So what is the best approach when you're spending your audio budget?
Don't forget that when you are checking out someone's signature, that's just a snapshot in time. It's possible the guy is working on buying 30k speakers.

Unless you have a lot of money, you buy things over time. That said, I think it makes sense to buy gear that's in the same "league". You don't power ls50's with a gryphon amp. Or power Alexandria xlf with a prima luna amp. Those are all good components, but they are in different tiers of performance.