View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Hi,

I'd like to offer some context based on experience. Remember, DAC's are analog signal-output devices, so they are sensitive to instantaneous current in the same way a pre-amp would be or even an amplifier, just not to the same degree. Depending on the power supply design, some DAC's are more sensitive to the gauge of a power cord than others but in general, they are notably sensitive. This represents both my experience and the shared experience of customers and dealers I've spoken to over the past 20 or so years.

Between the Venom 12NR and Venom 10NR, cost would be the relevant factor in making a buying decision. I would consider component/system cost and what you are comparing each power cord to. If budget and cost context is not out of line, I recommend spending the extra $100 on the Venom 10NR because there will be worthwhile improvements in perceived three dimensionality in sound. Lower octave weight and impact will be greater with a heavier gauge power cord on a DAC all else being equal. We list the gauge of these power cords in their title expressly because power cord gauge, based on the type of application should be considered up front when making a buying or evaluation decision.

On any digital-signal output device such as a transport, Clock, server, NAS, upsampled, computer etc, larger gauge power cord benefits disappear, which is where the Venom 14 Digital comes in.

The point of the three options of Venom NR power cords is to offer choices in terms of price and the type of application. For all analog-signal output electronics, the Venom 12NR and Venom 10NR are the options to consider based on budget. For digital signal-output components, the Venom 14NR is perhaps the best cost/performance power cord we've ever produced- including for all video applications.

Regards,
Grant
Shunyata Research