View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
I hope this mod goes well for you all & look forward to reading about the perceived improvements.

While the ModWright mods are of particular interest to me, I have some reservations in relation to the tacking of a 2Ch tube output stage at the end for a little sound colorisation. In addition to tethering an umbilical to an external analogue power stage to power the thing...

In relation to the ModWright 2CH tube mod, I gather the output stage is associated with L/R (XLR or RCA). The Oppo now allows for the L/R to be assigned to MC instead of using FL/FR. This means that both DACs are utilised for MC equating to even superior D/A. So, how does the 2CH tube mod fit in with the new capability which was introduced with the recent firmware update? Does this mean that there will also be additional benefits derived from the tube output stage for MC analogue material in addition to 2CH?

I have been informed by another company that performs mods to BDP-95s here in Australia that the main considerations for improvement are:
  1. Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
  2. Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
  3. Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
  4. Chassis & transport dampening.

I have also been informed that any Australian BDP-95 with this particular Australian company's mod sticker on it will not be void of warranty!

Lastly, they also claim that the Australian modified Oppo BDP-95 will give a MCD1100 a good run for its money.

I will be in a position to perform side-by-side 2CH comparisons with an Oz modified BDP-95 against a MCD1100 in the coming months & will post my perspective.
MyPal,

It sounds like the Australian mod might be a subset of the ModWright solid state mods that can be done on both 2-channel and multi-channel outputs of the BDP-95. It could be a good way to go for you since the mod would be performed "in country" and if it continues to carry the manufacturers warranty for the Austalian version of the player that is a plus as well.

If you are interested in pursuing the tube mods from ModWright I would suggest you give Dan a call and have him answer your questions and address your concerns. Dan has been perfecting the tubs mods with the dedicated outboard power supply and umbilical for several years across multiple platforms and I do not have any reservations about the quality, durability, or performance of that setup. I also don't think the tube mod is there "at the end for a little sound colorisation" as you describe at all - it is meant to add the benefits of tubes (smoothness, richness, and musicality) while maintaining if not improving detail and accuracy.

The recent firmware update that allows reassignment of the LF/LR outputs to the dedicated balanced and unbalanced 2-ch outputs raises some interesting possibilities for the analog multi-channel output of the player. I would expect the tube outputs on the ModWright player to add to the sound quality in that configuration. I will have to evaluate how I want to utilize that feature when I receive my unit back.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with and please report back on your findings and impressions
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables