View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 03:48 PM

The purpose of this entry is to now tie-off my contribution to this topic and properly state how things have ended up.

I now currently own the Gryphon Diablo 300 (bought it as stated in another thread) and in my system I would characterize the sound it produces as "broken, dull, boring and uninvolving". What I hear isn’t musical per se, I find myself sitting and listening to what sounds more like mid-fi instead of listening to and enjoying real music. I am sure that when paired with the right compatible gear that it will integrate quite well and make beautiful music. But apparently not with my equipment. The loudspeakers I’ve asked it to drive are the YG Acoustics Hailey 1.2 and the power cord (plugged directly into the wall) sending it juice is the Vertere Pulse-HB Mains Power Cable (which in turn is a wonderful cord that has made every component hooked up to it sound simply great).

Why do I own the Diablo 300? I was unable to hear the Gryphon in my system in my own room prior to its purchase (no dealer in my state), but bought it anyway based on a great number of comments on this and other forums extolling its wonders. Prior to the acquisition of the Diablo 300 I had the Ypsilon Phaeton in my room and made the mistake not buying it on the spot. The Phaeton has that easy flow and intimacy that comes with good Class A, and it was sublime. The emotional attachment to the music was there with the Phaeton and I kept thinking, "gee, if the Phaeton sounds this good, the Gryphon must be pretty great and its $9k cheaper!" So, I broke one of the most basic, cardinal rules of audio acquisition. Please don't buy any component without first auditioning every newly targeted acquisition in your system so you can properly assess how well it will integrate with everything else you already own. And while you're at it, make sure you have an iron-clad return understanding in place -- I thought I did, but was sadly mistaken.

My wife says she understands my mistake and is willing to let me take the price hit to now sell the Diablo and replace it with the Phaeton. I have promised to learn from this mistake and not repeat it. My guess is that this promise should last approx. 6 to 8 weeks or at least until I hear something I must have while at RMAF.