View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I have no direct experience with the MC1201 but it has autoformers which I believe are the key and More importantly, I found this on the Berners site. This quote is from the McIntosh MC1201 brochure. I added the **** to point you to the salient sentence.

“Featured Technologies
DOUBLE-BALANCED PUSH-PULL DESIGN. The MC1201 is fully balanced from input to speaker output. Matched amplifiers operate in complimentary push-pull with their outputs combined in the McIntosh autoformer. The resulting double-balanced configuration cancels virtually all distortion. This circuit design is possible only with the McIntosh autoformer.
EXCLUSIVE MCINTOSH OUTPUT AUTOFORMER. An impedance mismatch between an amplifier and loudspeaker can cause distortion and a reduction in power. The legendary McIntosh autoformer is a hand-crafted transformer with output connections for 2, 4, and 8 ohms, allowing an ideal impedance match. ***** A McIntosh amplifier with an autoformer can also safely drive multiple speakers connected in parallel without shortening the life expectancy of the output stage. *****. There is absolutely no performance penalty with an autoformer. In fact, its frequency response exceeds that of the output circuit itself, and extends well beyond the audible range. Distortion is so low it is virtually immeasurable.
EXCLUSIVE MCINTOSH POWER ASSURANCE SYSTEM. Power Assurance is a collection of technologies that enhance performance and reliability and protect the amp and the loudspeakers.
Power Guard[emoji768] clipping protection. Power Guard ensures that the amplifier will always deliv- er full power without causing clipping distortion. If an amplifier channel is overdriven, Power Guard automatically reduces the input volume just enough to keep distortion below 2% and prevent any clipping distortion. Thanks to an optical resistor, Power Guard acts literally at the speed of light, producing absolutely no audible side effects. An amplifier with Power Guard will actually deliver clipping-free output well above its rated power.
Sentry Monitor[emoji768] current protection. Sentry Monitor continually senses the voltage and current of the output stage and confines it to a safe limit. Sentry Monitor does not limit power output. Thermal Cutout. If the cooling air is blocked and the power transistors become too hot, thermal cutouts protect against overheating until the amp cools.”
Many thanks for the reply It is always good to check the manual...as long as you do not forget it