View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM
The Architect

I really enjoyed the extra few days with the Yggdrasil in my system, and it was tough returning it to its owner on Tuesday evening. I really appreciate my friend letting me borrow it for a few days to really hear its full potential. The sound continued to improve as it became fully warmed up - more extended bass, more coherent, and smoother and more balanced top to bottom. I really enjoyed hearing the additional detail, speed, and focused soundstage placement of vocalists and instruments with the Yggy. All of this without being bright or etched - truly remarkable!

As mentioned before, there were a couple of instances in direct comparison where my MW Oppo 105 has slightly better tonality and decay, and perhaps better dynamics. It is a machine that I still like very well and enjoy listening to, but I have to say that overall I like the presentation of the Yggy better, and I already miss not having it in my system! I agree with Dan's comment that the multi-bit DAC and bit perfect output is the main reason for the excellent sound I am hearing with the Yggy. I've always believed from previous experience that the type of DAC, while important, is secondary to the build out and quality of the analog stage and power supply in a player and/or DAC. This is where the ModWright tube based analog stage and power supply modifications really shine IMO. However, the Gungnir Multi-Bit and Yggdrasil DACs have changed my thinking about that importance, and the analog stages of those two DACs are also very well done.

I will be working toward saving up funds and recovering from my XRT29, CR-1, and Furutech Flux filter purchases the past few months, and once I do that it's almost a certainty that the Yggdrasil will find it's way into my system this year!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables