View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 PM

I might have previously mentioned that the REL "High Level" input design allows the TONE of the amp from which the signal is obtained from the speaker output to be reproduced…that's part of why I refuse to give up that part of the tube mojo as 100hz is well into much of the bass range where particular tone actually matters, and I prefer that the entire range of tone of the HO be available. As far as my "knowledge" stopping me from trying things, I recently found a box of filters (luckily I labeled them) I had from some old project and stuck one of my RELs (the larger of the 2) near enough to my preamp to try exactly what you suggest using the longest single ended cables I could find (a compromise as unbalanced cables start to influence tone when longer lengths are used…there's that pesky "knowledge"again). This sounded tonally inferior to the full range setup I prefer, possibly due to the fact that subs are generally not good at reproducing lower mids…I keep mine at around the 50hz point where my mains naturally drop off, and this matches with the HO very well. Please don't let this discourage you from following the amp usage tips provided by the Absolute Sound, as certainly the knowledge you potentially gain from that will help you develop your hearing skills.