View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Semi-audiophile

I decided not to start a new thread about this, though it could merit one. I went to the NY Audio Show yesterday. I was on a specific mission, and targeted rooms that had specific gear I was interested in or curious about. I am close to retirement (or making a decision on it, at least) and am considering one last fling gear-wise. I'd thought to hit the 3 rooms or so I wanted, then leave. It didn't go that way.

I had gone with the intention of visiting the Value Electronics room to check out the latest Sony OLED and a Technics turntable, also to check out Golden Ear speakers in one of the other rooms. No Golden Ear, but a vendor who sells them was there and that particular room featured Polk's new flagship, which sounded good (my first "high-end" speakers were Polks). There was also the possibility of an eyes-on experience with Bluesound products. I didn't see them. Here is a bottom-line summary of what resulted from my visit.

Turntables: Luxman PD-171A: I want one. Sota Sapphire: I want one. Technics SR-1200G (I wanted one, until I saw the others; now I "mostly" want one).

Speakers: Triangle Magellan Quatuor: gorgeous sound, driven by Luxman gear. I could see them with my 501s. Polk L800: driven by Marantz gear, sounded good, I think the room (or associated gear) affected the top end a bit. I think they might sound better with my gear and room. Ohm Walsh 2000: I liked how smooth they were, reminiscent of my Mirages. But the 2000s are too small for me. Fortunately, Ohm has models up the chain, so I'm looking at the 4000, which goes down to 26Hz, plenty deep if the spec is correct.

OLED: Sony rules! Better VP than the LGs from what I hear. Would have to do something with my PRO-111FD first. I saw the 75" one, no room here for that, plus too much money. The 65" or 55" work, with the 55" most advantageous for my setup as it would allow me to move my speakers closer together. Plus, I think a tighter picture comes with a smaller screen.

All the above will come into better focus as I apply my typical painstaking, plodding investigations. I've begun considering the turntables more carefully already; "dissecting" may be a better word . More as it develops, I guess.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 11-10-2019 at 07:08 PM. Reason: more info