View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariess View Post
I nearly did! I had negotiated the price and trade in of my beloved 802D3 for the 800D3. I decided to invest in a home audition of the 800D3 (charge applied to the purchase of the 800D3 if all went well). I am glad I did the test. Whereas the bass on the 802D3 sounds fantastic in my room, the 800D3 did not. Granted, my room is not huge (12'x23')
and does not provide the flexibility to place the speakers in many places. The bass was so prodigious on the 800D3 that it swamped the room whenever certain frequencies were excited and hung around too long. I am sure in the right room and position the 800D3 could best the 802D3 (mostly in the bass). But the bass you hear is not what the speaker puts out but what your room+speaker allows. I would much rather have a speaker that plays well in the room then its big brother that does not. Interestingly, if you read the various reviews and auditions of people who have heard the 802D3 and 800D3, you will often hear some similar issues with the bass from the 800D3. Namely, there were troubles dialing it in, even in professionally built and treated rooms. Again, I don't doubt that the 800D3 can be superior. Just don't assume they will sound that way in your room, especially if that room is not very large and you don't have a lot of flexibility in positioning. I highly recommend an audition before you buy.

I just saw a review in Audiophile and the reviewer makes this same point about the 803D3. He writes
"They are superb loudspeakers. Where you'll do your research is in room synergy. Size matters. And B&W provides 8 models from which to choose in the 800 Series Diamond line, including a standmount, two centres and a sub. My guess is you'll be choosing the 803s for your medium to large room where it will fill it with the most musical sounds for many years. Like most of the Focal Utopias, Raidho loudspeakers and that magical Magico Q1, the 803 D3 is a lifetime speaker. "
Thanks for your interesting review. I have lived previously with the N802 for 10 years and traded up to the new 802D2 which I have had for almost 5 years. The jump in sound quality was amazing.

I recently took the plunge to purchase the 802D3's and have around 20 hours on them so I imagine they are still breaking in.

I have noticed a big difference on the bass on the D3 being much drier, with more slam than the D2. The bass also appears to be lighter in weight than the D2's which were much fuller in the midbass than the D3's giving the feeling of a more robust bass and a bit warmer sound.

Kal reported in his review that the D3 had a more defined bass versus the D2 but the sound was on the "lighter side" with a less pronounced mid bass bloom or boom. I definitely need to get used to this as I somewhat liked the more robust mid bass of the D2's. This might be a matter of needing additional break in time or possible positioning of the speakers which are in the identical spot as the previous D2 version.

I would be curious to hear other opinions of people who have had the 802D2's that have upgraded to the D3's and if the sound quality changed after additional playing time in particular with the bass.