View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 06:01 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
So for 2021 I'll be looking to upgrade my Marantz AV8801. My TV and Oppo UDP-205 are 4K and would like to finish it off with a new AV Pre/Pro.

I very happy with my Marantz AV8801 so I'm leaning on sticking with the Marantz brand but I could be swayed.

The small list of contenders are the Marantz AV8806 (when it gets released) the Marantz AV7706 (it should sound and have better picture quality than my AV8801?) and finally the Yamaha AVENTAGE CX-A5200.

Please feel free to recommend others. The AV8806 would be at top of my budget but would love to keep it below.

Hi Paul,

I doubt that the AV7706 will sound better than your current Marantz. The video options (and streaming capabilities) will be better though.
From Kal's observations (in Stereophile), every generation of Marantz' top processors seems to improve slighty upon the previous one.
So the AV8806 will be probably be the better choice for you.

The Yamaha is a good option too (their devices are almost all good value).

Arcam also has processors, as does Anthem (their new ones coming out soon).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables