Thread: Et3se
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Not at all surprising; I don't think C-J is capable of making anything but a truly excellent preamp these days.
The "base" model ET3 is a helluva good-sounding preamp, too.

The other nice thing about the ET3 series is you can get them with a truly superb phono stage as well. An ET3SE with a phono stage for $5500 is a screamin' deal when you consider you're getting the equivalent of a $2500 phono stage along with a Class A preamp.

I would agree with Philippe's comments, but add to that that the entire range of CJ preamps from the ART onwards have been awesome. The Premier series based on the ART design, the Pr16/17s, both Series 1 and 2, were superb and garnered Class A ratings when they debuted, and are still fantastic preamps to this day. The Pr17 was a "baby" ART, and the Premier 16 was an ART, except in a stereo rather than dual-mono chassis.
They still command very respectable prices and are much in demand. The average time a Pr17 lasts when it goes on sale at Audigon is about 1 day.
I believe Turntable had a Premier 16 LS Series 2 and said it was a fantastic preamp, and from having lived with my Pr17 now for over a year, I would believe him.

Basically, anything from the first series of pres with remotes (the PV14) have been really impressive. My local C-J dealer was also really impressed with the PV15, and said they sold a LOT of them, especially the ones with the built-in phono stage. The fact that you can have C-J add Teflon caps to everything from the PV12 preamp onwards means you can keep your C-J pre sounding and performing with amongst the best preamps currently available today (probably better than many, in fact).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.