View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Hi Jerome- No doubt a restored Garrard would seem to be a great fit, and of course, many in the Shindo circle have taken that path. With regard to the GTA, it is a very good table. It has a lively, engaging sound, and that chameleon like quality which gets out of the way of the music. At it's 4K (US) price point, it does a hell of a lot right. In fact, I'm not of the mindset that I want to replace it with another table. My intention is to have a 2nd full turntable setup. I want to have that so called OTHER flavor, to enjoy

along with the GTA. Not only that, I have a Croft/Harbeth P3 setup that isn't getting much action, due to the fact that I'm running only digital through it. You may very well have a point with the Linn LP-12.... I do want to make this purchase with the Shindo setup 1st in mind. I was looking at used LP-12, Ekos 2 for under 4K. I would love to keep this purchase in that price range, and leave an extra 1.5K for a nice cartridge. Not only do I not want to spend big money at the moment, but let's face it, the more you spend on a piece of audio gear, the more you tend to lose if/when selling.

I understand your point perfectly.
A used LP12 with an EKOS 2 and a Lingo for under 4k would be a great value.
Better value but pretty rare to find : a nice TD124 restored and in a good plinth. Funny you talk about your P3 digital only set up. I was in the same position 6 months ago with my P3 ( I actually use either P3 or Falcons 3/5 )system in my bedroom. I was looking for a used tt when I found this 124 with a cheap but very good Jelco SA250 : 1200 euros. I put it on a suspended PAB platform ( 750 euros ) and equipped the arm with a Denon DL103 Expert Stylus co ( 650 euros).
The phonostage is a Nagra BPS ( bought used for 1300 euros ). The whole set up with the phono stage gets to 3900 euros.
Not really " cheap" for a bedroom system, but it sounds divine. No frustration compared to my big Verdier system.
I will post a pic later.
Anyway if the LP12 does not please you in the Shindo system, it will be a great table for the P3 system. The LP12 clearly is a special tt. Probably the most charming one on the market. But hard to set up perfectly.