View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 AM

I owe it to you fine folks to report back on my findings.

First, the VPI Classic is a beautiful piece of equipment. Gawk-worthy in every sense. Second, when combined with the Soundsmith Zephyr, a Wireworld Platinum IC, and a choice piece of vinyl, the sound is magical. A freaky dead-black background like I've never heard with vinyl before. It bests the MVP881 with a SACD in every respect except when good vinyl is not available. Right now I'm listening to Alison Krauss and US, So Long So Wrong on MOFI 180 gram vinyl and the sound is amazing....so much air and the soundstage is HUGE! With Krauss, her crazy effortless high notes can sound a little digital on CD or SACD....vinyl smooths everything out. So cool.

The stand ended up making no noticeable difference to my ear. Placed directly on the top shelf of the rack, I could jump up and down right in front of the rack and get no noise. I could also knock on the top shelf and no noise would end up being produced through the Classic...extremely impressive. The final decision on going without the rack came because the height of the TT on the top shelf is at a perfect height for changing records....it just feels and looks right.

Thanks to all who responded with tips!

Brent