View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
"Good reviewing" does not tell the reader what they should hear - it should tell the reader what the reviewer hears. The manufacturer needs the review to describe the product with technical accuracy so the product is correctly presented to the reader. The manufacturer has no say in sonic descriptions.

Not sure what you mean by "all this without a shred of scientic evidence...". It is easy to assess if a product desciption does indeed describe the product. A reviewer's cogent description of what he hears is empirical evidence.

Since we are humans I suspect we all hear more similarly than differently. Of course there are small anatomical differences across instances of the species. But the human hearing mechanism is pretty much what it has been since the start of sound reproduction. I agree we do have different preferences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
"Good reviewing" does not tell the reader what they should hear - it should tell the reader what the reviewer hears. The manufacturer needs the review to describe the product with technical accuracy so the product is correctly presented to the reader. The manufacturer has no say in sonic descriptions.

Not sure what you mean by "all this without a shred of scientic evidence...". It is easy to assess if a product desciption does indeed describe the product. A reviewer's cogent description of what he hears is empirical evidence.

Since we are humans I suspect we all hear more similarly than differently. Of course there are small anatomical differences across instances of the species. But the human hearing mechanism is pretty much what it has been since the start of sound reproduction. I agree we do have different preferences.

The human hearing is different enough where there is a certain preference or strong aversion to specific genres of music. It is not only a cultural thing, it is a physiological thing as it turns out.
https://knowledgenuts.com/2016/03/31...0hear%20sounds

We can still all agree that a drum is recognizable from a violin. Neither of those two instruments will ever sound the same to two people. But that's biology/physiology...

What I realized over the years is that in this hobby we really often do love the gear as much if not more than music itself.

I'm not a musician and certainly not an expert in music but... I was having a discussion with a guy I met through my friend who had a magnificent for the time Mark Levinson system with cables over $10k which was a lot for those years. We talked music and listened. The guy could not tell an alto sax from a tenor sax, he did not know what a TUBA is, he could not tell me the lowest frequencies of the piano when we discussed bass qualities. The conversation turned back on his plans to upgrade the system instantly. That's fine, it is what it is for every individual.

When I asked what type of music he listens to, he mentioned mostly Jazz and Blues but could not name more than 3-4 performers in each category. Alrighty then, the priorities there were very obvious to me. Whatever turns you on I say.

By the way, I don't mean to dissuade anyone from anything. It's your hobby, your money, enjoy it. If you hear something, you hear it and enjoy it.