View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
I have a lot of respect for Ed Meitner for his accomplishments, the equipment he designs, etc...and while he was 'a man' and not 'the' only person behind SACD's success, he had a lot to do with it.

That does not make him right and everyone else wrong about clocking. His opinion may in fact be 100% correct for single-bit DACs designed to the max with high-quality in-box clocking in the way he is stating he has achieved. That however does not make him right for multi-bit DACs and everyone else's gear.

JVC (has made master clocks still used for studio purposes), Esoteric, DCS, CH, and many others including Aurender on the W20 seem to disagree. I've watched this post generate the usual cadre of sheep and lemmings over on another (computer) audiophile forum and a lot of the feedback is of the form that Ed said so it must be true and all the rest of us who hear a difference with external clocks plus all the manufacturers who have support for it must be wrong.

There is even a post asking how people who have invested in external clocks FEEL having read Ed Meitner's dialog with JVS on Stereophile. FEEL? SERIOUSLY? Well I feel pretty damned good that I've read EM's opinion and know that in my setup and various generations of it, plus several over at Ivan's and in many other friends' setups that external clocks do improve the sound quality and performance of the system and that I don't agree it's all bogus and a 'money grab' as he put it. Sure, it's grabs extra money but from what I've heard, external clocking, like anything else, done well, does deliver on its promises.

Sorry that this is a bit over the top passionate but I always am amazed at just how much 1 post by 1 person who happens to be an industry veteran can sway people into a frenzy.
Not a lemming, Mark, just a theory I happen to agree with. Clock signals degrade the further they are generated from the DAC chip, so the logical location is right next to the DAC chip. This doesn’t mean that an external clock cannot work very well. I should know, I owned the Grandioso K1 Player and G1 Master Clock, and the G1 Clock worked excellent. But my MSB Select II DAC with Femto 33 Clock right next to the DAC Modules clearly sounds superior.

Best,
Ken

Last edited by PlanarSpeakerFan; 03-02-2019 at 09:00 PM.