View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Retired

Default Chat with Conrad Johnson

Have been going round & round (mental exercise) trying to figure out where I want to go within the Conrad Johnson line. I've been 'waiting' for a nice Premier 16 preamp to show up on the market, but they are pretty scarce. I've seen a couple over the last year+ and both were 'expensive' (probably for a reason) for used gear. So, thinking I may spring for a new ET3SE, which will need no upgrade and will still contain some of the 'magic' of my favored 6922 tube. In talking to the folks at CJ, they tell me that as nice as the Premier 16 was ~20yr ago, they feel the ET3SE is the better preamp.

Also, I'm a triode rather than an ultralinear fan (think it sounds better for my jazz, classical & opera tastes). Am also thinking of a CJ Classic 60SE amp, with is normally configured in ultralinear with KT120 outputs. For a nominal fee, CJ will reconfigure and rebias for KT88s for triode operation. For my needs, 30wpc of triode, with its wonderful mid-range, is all I'll ever need.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag