View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 06:20 PM

Default Comparing digitale files/sources to each other and to vinyl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Christoph - Definitely not a theory but a fact! The mastering of each title is of the utmost importance, especially when comparing versions of the same song/album. Although I agree in general about vinyl and SACD as being the 2 best sounding formats, I have compared a few titles and there are a select few which may sound better to me on CD. The it becomes a matter of format vs. mastering. It’s very difficult sometimes (especially with older releases that have been re-released numerous times) to determine whether you’re comparing apples to apples.

- Buck

Buck - nice to hear and it really is the only thing that makes sense and explains the ongoing differences between the sources from material to material (and thus why I‘m finding it difficult to make a general statement). Doesn’t make it easier though - would actually implicate that all three sources have their „moments“... so run all three? I like the Idea I posted above - rip existing CDs to FLAC, use Tidal for new releases (merge them by using Roon) and buy Vinyl when you‘re sure mastering and pressing are of excellent quality...