View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Christian
I am not trying to convert anyone into becoming a MQA acolyte. It is understandble that individuals would like as close to apples to apples A/B comparisons of MQA versus other versions of the same releases. Those comparisons can and have been done yet some individuals challenge the provenance of any files included.

I have made the following comparisons in my set-up.
Tidal MQA version versus the actual CD.
Tidal MQA version versus a CD version that has been stored in Sooloos format.
Tidal MQA version versus a CD version stored on a server I use for Roon content.
Tidal MQA version versus Hi-Rez version stored on both Sooloos and Roon servers.
Purchased MQA version versus Hi-Rez version stored on both Sooloos and Roon servers.

Results:
-I have never heard the streamed or purchased Tidal MQA version sound worse than the CD, Sooloos, or Roon content.
-There are some where the MQA and other 16/44 are too similar to worry about.
-I only have a handful of purchased MQA titles but they compete in the same sandbox as the hi-rez versions I own. Some are better, some the same and some not as good.

Thoughts
-I am looking forward to the promised content from Universal and hopefully Sony, even if it is just comes from streaming.
-Just like my other content there are titles I wish to own. I would like a lot more MQA offerings available for purchase.
-I am considering options for a new DAC. I will only consider those that are MQA capable.
-I wouldn't suggest anyone else go and swap out their current DAC for a MQA capable unit unless more content (new releases and old stuff) is released. If you "need" a new DAC that is a different story.
-If streaming(at least CD quality) isn't something you are considering, don't worry about MQA.
I didn't feel you were pushing MQA.

Subscribing to Tidal to take advantage of their streaming offerings is on my to-do list, and MQA makes it more appealing.

I think it's a great bonus for Tidal subscribers. I'm just late to getting on the Tidal train!

I especially appreciate you sharing your comparison with MQA vs your hi-rez files.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables