View Single Post
Old 06-05-2018, 04:01 PM

I am using a custom variant of a Von Schweikert VR-7 tower loudspeaker with my variant Inspire KT88 HO amplifier.

My customized VR-7 is internally the same as the original (not the later VR-7 HSE) production VR-7, all the same drivers, crossovers, wiring but in a slightly different cabinet. The modifications were performed by Albert Von Schweikert, the designer of the VR-7. My speakers started life as a VR-4 but the only thing that remains of the original speaker are the cabinets and even those were modified. Even the fabric which covers the cabinets was upgraded.

A description of the speakers, complete with specifications, is available at this link: http://stereotimes.com/news121599.shtml These specs show a sensitivity of 92dB. It lists their weight at 120 pounds each, mine weigh 155 pounds each as mine has a heavy layer of a putty-type dampening material within the cabinet walls. Original list price was $15K, but I didn't pay anywhere near this.

My Inspire KT88 HO is the 17 wpc model, I don't think DH made many of these. The standard model produced 12 wpc with KT88s. And while the front panel of the amp has "SET Fire Bottle" painted on it, I believe it is a SEP, not SET, as I believe one can get 17 wpc out of a KT88 only when it is in single ended pentode mode. I have run the amp with a variety of output tubes, including 6L6, EL34, 6CA7, 6V6, 6P3S-e, KT66, KT77, KT88, and KT120.

I find the VR-7s to be a wonderful match with the Inspire. At least in a small'ish room and playing at less than concert volume levels. They throw up a fantastic soundstage, with instrument separation and clarity along with voice reproduction that is literally hair raising. Listening to Norah Jones, Dianna Krall, and yeah even Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash can be astounding in how lifelike it sounds.