View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqman View Post
Did you ever consider, hear or compare the m126Be? I’ve had my eye on these and my room isn’t much bigger than yours. I already have subs so I’m curious if there is a big difference other than bass extension.
I auditioned the M126Be as well, and it is a fine speaker. It isn't quite as good in the mid-range as is the 228, but I'm splitting hairs. One of my favorite recordings (A Sheffield Labs recording of wind ensembles) has some bassoon in it that was clearly better on the 228 vs. the 126. It seemed to me that in the attempt to get enough bass from the 6" driver on the 126 they tuned it such that there is mild veiling of some of the "texture" that makes a bassoon sound like a bassoon. Same with the French Horns on the same recording. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but that's the best I can do. That having been said, the 126 was one of the best sounding speakers I have heard (if not the best) at under $5K and it is substantially better (clearer and easier sounding) than the F208. Not as much bass as the 208, but a "better" sound that is clearer, more open AND yet more relaxed sounding. I found the 208 to have some mid-range hardness that I'd not be able to tolerate for the long haul.
Each person has things that they listen for, but that is what I heard. I'd highly recommend and audition of the 126Be as it is very very good. It may be tough to integrate subs with it, as the speaker is very detailed and very "quick". I was wanting to get rid of subs altogether and the 228Be's in my small room allowed me to 86 the subs!