View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 PM

Default The Experiment Continues: Rogue Audio RP-7 on order

I've been seeking a preamp for my main system for a couple months. Looking at the 3 gain settings on my Benchmark AHB-2 amp and the output voltages of my Totaldac d1-twelve SE DAC's buffered and unbuffered outputs with the desire to be able to use both, I decided to order the Rogue Audio RP-7. This tubed, fully balanced preamp offers up to 20db gain with a max output voltage of 30V. This will allow me to use the lowest gain setting on the amp while using the unbuffered output of my DAC. The bias adjustment evidently is easy to set, so some of the work involved with this tubed component is minimized. The output impedance is very low so it should pair reasonably well with most amplifiers. Finally, the price is rather reasonable for high-end audio and Rogue Audio products are well made and receive very positive reviews.

I've never owned a tubed component before, so my curiosity is piqued. While my amp has sweet mid and highs, I'm looking for a little more bloom. I'll post impressions once I've had a chance to listen to it and as the preamp burns in.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 10-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.