View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeyboy View Post
Thank you. The word "faster" has been used a lot when describing the D3's. I guess it's a matter of differentiating between clean, tight, punchy bass and overblown but on first impressions "fuller" sounding bass.

I want to keep the depth from the 802 D2 and the weight, but get the impression the D3 will deliver it in a cleaner manner with equal impact.

Many Thanks.
I lived with the first generation N802 for almost 10 years and then had the 802D2 for 5 years which was a huge upgrade. I then moved to the 802D3 which was absolutely night and day difference.

The differences to me from the bottom up are:
Bass is much cleaner with less distortion which I believe is partly a function of the new Aerofoil base drivers and the cabinet.
Bass has got more punch and power where you can really feel the kick of a bass drum.
Bass goes deeper and you can hear distinctly the tone of the instrument.
Bass better integrates with the midrange. The previous version could have too much bass bloom in the upper bass which had a negative impact on the midrange.
Midrange is more open and has a clarity of voice that is way beyond what the Kevlar driver could achieve. Voices are amazing and the soundstage and depth is much improved over the old. Makes it sound like the singer is in the room with you and palpable in nature.
The tweeter is less aggressive and sounds more delicate and cymbals sound almost alive with the right recording.

The speaker is much more coherent and 3 D like with improved timing that kills the old 802D2.

Yes it is a lot more money, but in my mind for what you get and the build quality is worth every penny.

Last edited by GregGale; 09-02-2017 at 10:07 AM.