View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Yeah! I have seen pictures of setup with the Thor Hammer in the middle and it does look amazing! The few times I eared them I was always impressed with the system playing but it is too long ago with too many different variable compared to my current setup...
Jacques - This is a really hard call to make on products like this, with low bass output of the magnitude you're talking, it would be really difficult to "picture" which setup would perform the best in your room. That being said, your RELs retail for $5000 per sub which puts you at $30,000 of subwoofer with your present setup. According to a review I read, the Thor's Hammer retails for $21,000, so two of those would put you at $42,000. I agree with the above posters about how great the Wilson subs sound......but you have to think that in regard to low bass output, how much are you gaining by switching different brands and spending just a little more $$$$? You're talking about augmenting the absolute lowest octaves and the question is whether shifting to a different brand would gain you much if anything. You also have to take into account that different models and designs WILL interact differently with your room, so unless you were able to do some sort of in home trial, you're taking a chance that it's possible the Wilson's could be worse in your space than they would be elsewhere. I guess my take home message is that unless money is totally no object to you I wouldn't do an equipment switch (and I'm not calling it an upgrade since I don't consider Wilson subwoofers an upgrade over RELs in your configuration) without some sort of in home test. Bass can do funny things to rooms and unless you're totally unhappy with the bass you're getting now, you'd be taking a chance that possibly could turn out worse than you have now. You just don't know how the Wilson's would interact with your room/dimensions/volume until you get them.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3