Thread: First Watt
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
There are similarities and when I read about the XA25 it seemed strikingly similar to the F6. Nelson told me it is not... I take him at his word... even though he may be required to say that ...

And I agree that he did not have my speakers in mind with the design, although his second and third main criteria for those who may be interested do apply.

All I know is it sounds really good, so much so that I decided it is my main amp and the ARC is my change of pace amp. I have played it exclusively other than when Dan and Bill came over and we spent several hours comparing the two, ever since the amplifier was delivered earlier in the week.

I also agree with your point about the XA30.5. If one becomes available to me and I can afford it at the time I would probably jump on it, especially because of the balanced inputs and a tad more power.
I've had the First Watt J2, M2, and Pass Labs X150.5 and XA30.5 in the same system to see which matched with my speakers and sonic preferences. Although the FWs and X150.5 are at similar price points, sonically, the FWs tended towards greater transparency and speed. However, they did not have the bass heft, extension, or grunt of either of the Pass Labs models. I've found that listening to them was much more enlightening than any of the professional reviews available at the time, which tended to be paired with highly exotic and idiosyncratic speakers I was not familiar with. Reno Hi-Fi has a very good at-home trial program with very little risk and cost that allowed me to do the comparisons.

If you like the F6, I would think the XA30.5 would also be interesting, good luck!