View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 11:26 PM

Default Unsatisfying Bass to Sub from Oppo UDP-205 in 5.1 Setup

I have been playing with this setup for a year or so, and I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else had a similar issue. I bought the big dog Oppo just so I could save a component and get my DAC and home theater decoder together in one. It sounds really good with great imaging in surround. I just want the earth shaking bass with my movies.

- The signal comes from the cable box via HDMI to the Oppo, and I have also tried Blue Ray movies. No difference in bass. Tried Netflix, Prime, and the usual cable stuff too.
- I have an REL 12" Home Theatre Sub (HT/1205) that is connected via REL wireless to the Oppo. The signal is clear, doesn't break up (I replaced a Best Buy wireless that was absolutely terrible). I am not an expert on subs, but I can't believe you can get a much better sub than this for $600. It is powerful.
- I had the gain on the sub and in the Oppo setup screen cranked to max, and I just barely felt like I was getting the rumble. Crossover on the Oppo was set to max (per REL webinar), on the sub it was set to around a 100 Hz - but I tried it all the way up and it didn't help.

So I finally gave up on the Oppo, and connected the LFE that went to the wireless module to one channel of the second pre-out on my MAC6700. HOLY CRAP! I can't get the sub past about half gain on the dial now or it overpowers the rest of my system. It's crazy. I can feel the bass in my spine. And I am only running the left channel into the wireless module too, not both. I went into the Oppo and turned off the sub, so I am hoping that the LFE is mixed into the front Left and Right now. Not sure if this is true or not.

So my question is, has anyone else seen this? With the low LFE output on the Oppo players? I am starting to second guess the whole Oppo idea. I know this thing is legendary, but I think the DAC sounds better on my MAC6700 too (been doing some A to B stuff and it is pretty enlightening. Found a couple songs that sound great on the MAC that the Oppo completely ruins.)

Thank you.

-Geoff