Thread: Want to stream
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
So I've decided it might be time to step into the digital streaming arena. I'll first admit I'm completely ignorant on this subject but will attempt to explain what I'm after. What I would like to do is stream music but am not interested in media storage. My desktop PC and WiFi router are in a different part of the house than my 2-channel setup to direct connection is not really a option. My system should be familiar to most but for clarification I'm running a Luxman L590 integrated and D-05 CDP. The D-05 is a early production unit with digital IN/OUT being only COAX or OPT. based on reviews the D-05's DAC is pretty good so this should be considered for use.

What I would like to do is subscribe to a Hi-Resolution service (recommendations welcome) and stream content by WiFi from my laptop or maybe even a I-pad should I ever purchase one. As for the media player I could utilize the D-05's DAC or look for a solution that includes other options. For me the fewer pieces the better. Budget wise maybe $2-$2500, based on what "I think I understand".

Again, forgive my complete ignorance on the subject, I've been reading information online and of course here on AA and truth be told I'm still a bit confused. I'm pretty sure one of the many AA members knowledgeable on the subject can get me headed down the right path
You can stream using WiFi. But you want to make sure that you have a good WiFi signal in your stereo room.

One suggestion (there are others) is to use Roon as a media server. You can install Roon in your PC. But keep in mind that your computer needs to be on and Roon software open whenever you want to stream your music. Roon offers a free trial period.

For streamer service, I use Tidal. It provides CD quality files and it works very well with Roon. Tidal also has a free trial period.

As far as costs you are looking at:
Roon Subscription: $500 (lifetime) or $119 per year
Tidal $20 per month
Roon-Endpoint/Streamer: from $100 to several thousands. Incidentally, if you have an AppleTV you can use that as a Roon EndPoint/streamer.

Then you can connect your Roon Endpoint/Streamer to your DAC as you described.

You should be able to try it for free and see if it works for you.