View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius

Actually, I am currently running this very Shindo combination and really enjoy it. I have many other (non-Shindo) amps as well so I can shake things up based on my mood. When it comes to Shindo I'm definately in the "buy the best preamp you can afford" camp. Based on my experience my emotional connection with the music deepened tremendously as I went up the preamp line. I really like the Shindo amps as well but would have a hard time using just one amp full time. I have definate output tube preferences based on different musical genres.
Sibelius,

Really? Why do you have different tube preferences for the different genres of music? I'm seriously curious. I have had 3 main amps in my hifi adventure. The first was a class d, wyred4sound 1Kw, then a pass labs xa 30.5, and most currently, a Sophia electric 300B set up. I found my interest in the music increased with each, and that the first 2 did not play well with my zu essence speakers. The sound was nice in a clinical way. Now I'm thoroughly enjoying my 300B's, and I'm told that moving to a new speaker will really open things up. Hence my recent purchase of the DeVore Orangutans. My next move will likely be to move up from my leben r100u to the masseto. But, I digress. My original, and sincere, question was to understand why you use the different amps. And if you don't mind sharing, what genre do you use them with? Fwiw, I may not part with my 300B set, even if I go the Shindo amp route. But, may, in fact, use that to compliment the whole set up like it sounds you have by using multiple amps depending on the genre. In any event, thanks for any input you share.

Respectfully,

Jonathan

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado