View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Yes I am not thinking Paul McGowan’s delivering the experience since 1974 motto included non functioning new in box hardware. If you have or get a new DS Sr. check all the inputs since it appears they bypassed that QC step.

The unit did have Snowmass V2 3.04 on board. I do not have a bridge, but may get one. Trying to determine if cat 5 beats usb with the DS. Whether to airplay album art to big screen or drive it with a MAC Mini. What aremconnect experiences versus using streaming apps and PC interface. The cost a mac mini probably comes in less than a BridgeII. What sounds better USB or the Bridge?

I will say Ted Smith’s programing is amazing to make digital sound like vinyl. I did go back and listen to some streamed songs with the internal DAC on the MX150. Theere is a night and day difference. With a deeper and wider sound stage.
The lack of noise and ability to make a source I labeled as crap before with grating highs now sound mellow and natural.

I think my spouse was more enamored than me hearing background voices in sources she was very enthused. She is a vocals listener that knows every word so she enjoyed the natural voices.

I was no longer cringing listening to music she would pick that I would previous label a poor source and could enjoy it too.

I am going to have to reload some different RoomPerfect voicings that accentuate highs. Now that Ted Smith’s programming removed the digital has that my system was previously over emphasized I actually found myself wanting to add a few dB of treble on some poor sources. This never would have beena choice previous.

I will say Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Texas Flood simply left me awestruck. The DirectStream will let you push your system to wattage levels you would never do prior without even realizing it. Pulling out all that jitter and eliminating it you can then enjoy the dynamics that reside in the music if your system is capable of it. I do appreciate having power meters since one might not realize how loud your playing. Yes the reproduction is that good with DS and Snowmass. Distortion sounds louder than clean source. So can really push the music dynamics and not realize it.

I can’t wait to experience some symphony music when I can do some critical listening.

Last edited by Vmax; 12-08-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typos