View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
As I understand it there have been2 versions of the PSE. The first, like mine, is on the large chassis running deep. A symmetrical layout with Rect in rear, driver in front surrounded by output tubes. This was designed around the KT-88 tube, 6sn7 and the rectifier was not a rectifier but a IIPS mod. It uses diode rectification. There were a couple of PSE that went out before mine w/o the IIPS upgrade in that DH developed that around the same time. I remember a picture of a chassis with two rectifier sockets so someone out there has tube rectification and the IIPS. Second gen PSEs are layed out with the chassis running long ways side to side. These have (3) gas regulator 'tubes'. There is one of these for sale at the moment on several sites. As I understand the PS with the gas regulators is the only difference but you know how Dennis rolls. Always changing things up.

When getting mine I told Dennis I had not found a KT-88 I liked so no need to supply any. He supplied GL KT-77s instead and said it seemed like he had designed the amp around that tube they ran so well in it. As always system determinate.

I am sure Tony can say more.
I believe I own the last PSE (deep chassis, black with gold) Dennis made without the IIPS. He release the IIPS version almost immediately after I received my amp. Dennis told me to pack it up and he would retrofit the IIPS for free.