View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 09:17 PM

Default It's me!

Howdy all!

Mike Major here. Nice to be a part of the forum!

For a little history about who I am (so you know where I'm coming from):

I've been in the recording industry for over 30 years. I ran a studio in El Paso Texas for 18 years while also working for a large regional sound company. In El Paso I did just about everything you can do in pro audio including: live sound, sound system installations, recording, mixing, mastering, producing, location sound (for movies/commercials) and some acoustics consulting. I was also an IATSE stage hand for about 12 years.

After leaving El Paso, I established my home mix studio Mike's Mix Room where I've been mixing and mastering records for the last 12 years or so. Most of the work I do in the studio is in the rock genre, though I have worked on almost every type of music you can imagine at some point (you'd be surprised!).

In 2013 I wrote and published the book "Recording Drums: The Complete Guide" which is about-you guessed it-recording drums. Shortly thereafter I started a video series about mixing on YouTube called "The Method to the Mix" which is now available for sale through SonicScoop and The Pro Audio Files.

I am a frequent contributor to Sonic Scoop where I write about all things Pro Audio and recording...though if I'm being honest, I really write about what bugs me in the recording world! There is so much misinformation out there that I try my best to offer tried and true, empirical methods and techniques to help people make better recordings.

I started dabbling in acoustics back in the late 90's in an effort to improve the acoustics of my recording studio (both the live room and the control room). Since then I have purchased and studied numerous books and white papers and have a voracious appetite to learn more and more about acoustics. For all that I've learned over the last 20 years, there is still much more to understand. It's a complicated subject that only gets more complicated the further you dive in.

I started at GIK Acoustics recently and will do my best to be an active participant on this forum. We do get very busy over there but I will carve out some time to check in and hopefully answer some questions for anyone who needs help. I'm hoping I can offer some perspective and expertise about acoustics to help you all get the most out of your rooms, but I also hope to learn more about high-end listening/2 channel/home theater stuff from all of you.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me here and I look forward to some lively, intelligent discussions.

Onward!
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)