View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 AM

When I was younger I would play some music a lot louder. But now I live in an "Over 55" apartment complex. It is wonderfully quiet here. No noise from other tenants at all. And I have to say I love that aspect of life here. So I try to do MY best to never disturb anyone else in return. Even my choice of speakers, Magnepan... Since the bass seems to not go through walls as easily as most cone based speakers.
The main problem is the bass going through walls. So I actually do not play any music with strong bass and a even bass beat. Any syncopation in the beat and the problem drops considerably for annoyance levels.
My big love of LOUD is Opera arias.. Particularly climaxes with groups singing. Like Barber Of Seville (Rossini) I play those pretty loud since they have little bass.
Generally I am playing music at 55dB C weighted on a Radio Shack meter at listening position. Up to 70dB.. Big and loud for me is 80dB.
I have found listening at these levels the realism is there, but it takes time to enjoy it. Usually when someone turns the level down it really is a huge loss, IMO due to just not being used to it.
I certainly would be playing some music louder if I were in my own home...