View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Nice to hear from you Bart,

Thank you.
I have heard neither of the performances shown in your message.

I believe those shown are CD issuances.
For folks playing along at home, we take a dip into the archives:

1) the Decca Eloquence label of Kubelik with the Vienna Philharmonic at the Musikveriensaal was recorded in '54/'55. This was Kubelik's first recording on Mahler's 1st. Purportedly the photo is from much later, likely when K was around 70. I wonder if it was recorded in stereo? I don't have an identifying number, perhaps you would be so kind to see if there is one if you have the disc.

Your assignment if you choose to accept it is to find an LP copy of this recording on vinyl (not shellac) and I will be happy to listen to it. Sixty years ago people in Europe played so well that surely it holds interest today. :-)

2) the Urania is: RIT 55 200 released in 2005. I presume the recording was made earlier in as much as it self describes as: "Newly Rematered Using State-of-the-Art Restoration Techniques." I wonder if it was taking from a radio performance?

If you have heard either performance, please let us know what you hear!

Grazi
Timoteo

Buongiorno Timotei,

That's our homework for this week?!

I'll start with listening to the three performances and compare them.

Felice anno nuovo!!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables