View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
The 701 is a bridged version of the 711. For reasons I can't fully explain the 701, in bridged mode, is 4x the watts of the 711 at 8 ohms. The 701 or most bridged amps are most suitable for speakers that have a higher nominal ohm rating.

As I understand it a bridged amp when driving an 8 ohm load "sees" 4 ohms. For a speaker that has a lower nominal ohm rating this is more of a challenge for a bridged amp. If you look on the Soulution web site you will see that there is no power rating at 2 ohms for the 701. The 701 is rated at 600 watts at 8 ohms and 1200 watts at 4 ohms but no power rating at 2 ohms.

I'm guessing the 701 relies on its massive capacitance for the demanding musical transient passages at lower ohm ratings. I am not completely sure.

Interestingly the 701 in its dual mode (for bi amping) has the same power specs at the 711. The 711 is power rated at 600 watts at 2 ohms for speakers that dip way down.

I will say again as in a previous post that for most all musical passages in my direct comparisons that the 701's appear to me to be sonically superior, except in certain rare instances.
Thanks Le Roy. Excellent explanation. Hope you're enjoying your D5's and Chicagoland!

Best,
Ken